2024-25 School Start Time Project
The idea of changing school start times has been a topic of discussion in the district for many years. It can be a very difficult process to change practices that have been in place for years, but the research related to school start times consistently shows significant positive impacts of later start times for high school students. In an attempt to align with brain research and consider ways to support our students even more, we felt now was the right time to explore options and make a change.
As a result, we we are adjusting the start times for all levels (shown to the right) and these changes will go into effect for the 2024-25 school year. This new schedule was developed from a wide array of input from students, staff, families and the community. There were two community focus group meetings and a staff survey, as well as multiple touchpoints with staff and students.
The new school start time model also helps us to be more efficient and will require us to operate less buses to get students to and from school each day. These changes will help with driver shortages and allow our transportation department the ability to serve students and families better.
2024-25 Start/End Times
Preschool AM: 8:30-11:15
Preschool PM: 12:15-3:00
High School: 8:35-3:20
Middle School: 9:05-3:50
- What research was reviewed when considering the start time changes?
- When will the new school start times go into effect?
- How will each level be impacted by the start time changes?
- Are there any other changes that come along with the updates to the school start times?
- How will the District address the impact of the new school start times on extracurriculars?
- How will Chinese enrichment classes be impacted with the new start time schedule?
- How will the middle school zero period classes that currently happen at the high school be impacted with the new start times?
- Will having a later start time at the high school just entice students to stay up later?
- How will the changes impact child care needs for our families?
- Will changes to our school start times impact students needing transported to Eastland Fairfield Career & Technical Schools or local private schools?
- Will the school start time changes impact our breakfast or lunch programs?
- How will staff work hours and planning time be impact by the start time changes?